Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Narchlar of the Oaks-Next-to-that-Lovely-Stream-Full-of-Trout

Narchlar, doing what he does best

Narchlar is a gnome's gnome, to be sure. His life may not seem interesting at all to some other being, but many a gnome long after his small adventures and relatively close travels. In fact, his is a tale so gnomish, that we feel it's best that we let him tell it himself. The following is a transcript of an interview with the famous gnome, provided generously by Terrance Squidby.

"Well, I 'spect you'll want to start at the beginning. I was born to the clan Oaks-next-to-that-lovely-stream-full-of-trout, and lived my early years in the grove of it's description. My, that was a blessed time! I tell ya, they weren't lyin' 'bout that old stream - 'twas filled to the brim with wee little fishies so delicious, a body'd squeal with joy once they were caught! But alas, in time I had to grow up and take me place in the world."

"As an adult gnome, the head of me family and all, I had to venture out and find some work. 'Twasn't much to do among me oaks, you know, 'cept the fishin'...and blimey, I'd be a terrible fisherman for I'd never sell the trout if I could eat them instead! Ha ha! In any case, I fell in with a band of roamin' elvish actors. They were in need of a mask-maker for their stories, or productions, or what have you, and came to me clan special (as we're know to do that there task right well). I volunteered, and that was that!"

"'Twas during me time with the red elves that I learned the Common Tongue. Bound to happen, what with the elves (nice folk, that lot) always performin' in it, and blokes always comin' round after the shows askin' me and the others questions. Got a head for languages, I reckon."

"After about 50 or so years, I bid the elves a fond farewell and went back to the Erkenheld, tome oak grove and me clan. 'Twas around this time, though, that the Queen's knickers were all in a twist and we gnomes were a-startin' to join up with the Rebel Forces. Me clan had been ponderin' this for awhile, since before I'd even left, but could scarecely do nothin' 'bout it, as we didn't have the skills the rebels wanted. Then I come skippin' back, and what do you know? I'm fluent in the Common Tongue, just the thing the rebels been after!"

"So I joined up with the rebels after takin' a speck o' time to catch up with me family and relax by that wonderful stream, eatin' wee baby trout. Me time in the army's mostly spent translatin' things from one language to another or chattin' with Nadras, the bowmaker. Fine chap, Nadras is. Don't fight much, though, don't care for it. All in all, I'm happy, though I do miss me fishin' a good deal."

See Also:
Homchi
Gilflesh

No comments: